James Derulo's

Portfolio

Music: My Perspective

Leave a Comment
SONG: Your Letter
ARTIST: 112
ALBUM: Room 112
WHAT MAKES THE SONG MEMORABLE?: The meaning behind these lyrics is amazing, as it plays out in 5 minutes & 26 seconds of pure song. The initial feeling when receiving “that letter” was one any hopeless romantic could only wish led to a happy ending. The song had an introduction, a climax, and a conclusion that could only be as touching, and realistic if sung the way it was.
For those who may not know, or be familiar with the songs actual meaning. ‘Slim’ found a letter “lieing on the floor” from his girlfriend. He picked it up, figured that she left it there for him to find on his own time and read, so he did. Throughout the song ‘Slim’ talks about what the letter said (“It said you loved me, but you didn’t know the words to say. It said you’d never knew that you could ever feel this way. It said you only wished someday that I would feel the same. In your letter - your letter”), and how he felt when reading it. He never thought that she’d love him the way she had expressed in the letter. He was touched beyond any explanation (“I was so happy that I almost cried, to think that you would think of me that way. It’s like you took my sweetest dream, and made that dream come true. I will be with you… alwaysssss”). Then, in the bridge, “I saw a name I didn’t recognize. I felt the tears come to my eyes.” The letter wasn’t for him. It was for someone else who she had longed for. (“Seems like the love you’ve been longing for… was not a love like mine”).After that realization, everything in the hook changed from me to him. And the tears that were once for happiness, turned to tears of distraught.
WHAT IS THE FEELING THE SONG SENDS OFF?: Love, romance, heartbreak, & hopelessness. 
OVERALL RATING OF THE SONG 1-10 SCALE: This song would get a complete 10 from me. The vocals, the manipulation of the beat (i.e raising the tempo as the plot thickened), as well as the harmony, all played a part in making this song as effective as it was. Definitely one of the greatest songs of the era. It will NEVER get old to me. This is the type of music that needs to be brought back.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment